Monday, November 24, 2014

irelandseyeonmyth: Oxmanstown in Dublin is an example of the...





irelandseyeonmyth:



Oxmanstown in Dublin is an example of the origins the “fingallian” ethnicity and the first Fingallian homes mightve looked like the pic above.


Oxmanstown comes from “Austmenn” a germanic word for “east men”. A term originally coined by the norse gael/Irish vikings for themselves.


The name fingal only comes from gaelic speakers commenting on “Fingallians” different fair hair n skin.


The placename Oxmanstown isnt on maps now. Its only been used colloqially in Dublin since the gaelic nation state began to “deanglecize” Ireland.


Its only as an adult now im even getting a sense of being “fingallian”. Growing up in a xenophobic nation state I struggled with identity. With the sense of shame drummed into me in school where I was taught that not being from a gaelic speaking family meant you werent Irish.


if you werent a gaelic speaker you were English an enemy of our venerated martyrs. Fair haired foreigner or not it was intended as an insult.


Looking back now my grandad had a short terrier of dubious parentage named scut. A pure dog dog that was a guard to him and buddy to me. As much of a viking as Brodar that killed Boru.


I used to get a scut off the back of cars going home from primary school. A brief ride by standing on the back bumper before they saw me n stopped.


The word was old norse skautr. My childhood was filled with “fingallian” words like that. I thought were Gaelic because they werent english but were natural to me. I wish Id had the chance to enjoy the 1200 year old “fingallian” culture.


This rant is a product of seeing fingallian called English on wiki. Even though it quotes books thats say otherwise. Fk nationalism. I want the right to have my own ethnicity celebrated as Irish.







via Tumblr http://ift.tt/1AIzoHH

No comments:

Post a Comment